HAPPY TRAILS BLOG

Friday, November 12, 2010

Sue Riley...


A little over two months ago, Sue Riley left us to ride endurance in heaven. 

I have a photo of her and I riding together at the Ft Stanton Endurance Ride from 2009 that I 
look at almost every day.  

Sue reinforced what my sister Brenda taught me about cancer.  Live each day to the fullest, period.

I try to do that every day as I glance at Sue's photo before I walk out the door.  

At the 2009 Ride the Divide Endurance Ride, Sue and I were riding up a pretty steep hill that
seemed to go on forever.  She was physically sick from her medication, and spent most of the climb
getting sick off the side of her mare.  I asked her if she wanted to stop at all, she didn't, so we continued on to the vet check.  Roger Taylor and others helped her get a bite to eat and off we went back to camp following the hold time.  

About an hour after we got back to camp, Sue walked over to our trailer and handed me a water
bottle she had purchased for me.   It said. "Ride 'till you Puke"... that pretty much sums it up!

Sue loved our sport.  She loved riding.  She was very good at it.  While battling cancer, she managed to finish all six days of the Ft. Stanton Endurance Rides in 2008 and 2009.  I could barely finish six days in 2005 while completely healthy!

I (and so many others) miss you Sue.  You're my hero.




No comments:

Post a Comment